Want to help protect the climate by utilising and building on your existing skills or interests? Then you might be interested in one of our Climate Action volunteer roles.
22 Jan 2020
We need volunteers to support the work of over 150 Climate Action groups around the country. Can you lend your skills to help activists feel confident, and enable groups to thrive?
By supporting the Climate Action network through a volunteer role, online or by providing direct 1-2-1 support, you’ll be helping to strengthen a growing network taking action on climate.
Join the Climate Action Welcome Team
Want to help people get active to prevent climate breakdown? Good at using simple digital tools to communicate? Have up to 3 hours a month available?
The Climate Action Welcome Team welcomes newcomers to the Climate Action campaign, giving them the information, tools and resources to make change happen.
We also play a key role in making newcomers feel welcome and appreciated in our network.
Help induct new climate activists into the campaign by:
- hosting up to 1 evening webinar a month from the comfort of your own home
- checking in on new activists online, helping them feel supported and able to take their next steps towards community campaigning.
Join the welcome team and, after taking part in 2 simple short online training sessions, you’ll be off helping others to take climate action. We’ll provide ongoing support and resources to help you too.
To join the Welcome team you'll join Fin, Welcome Team leader, for a 90 minute long webinar where he’ll explain the Welcome team’s purpose in greater detail, answer any questions you have, and walk you through the steps involved in being a Welcome volunteer.
Following that, you’ll be invited to join a staff-led Welcome webinar so you can watch someone else delivering the content you’ll be delivering, before putting it all into practice yourself.
Fin will also talk you through how we welcome newcomers to the campaign online so that you can follow up with new activists and make sure they’ve got everything they need. Training dates:
- Meet with Fin and learn about the team: Tuesday 18 February 19:30- 21:00
- Watch a welcome webinar Tuesday 25 February 19:30- 20:45
Is this for you?
We know that there are loads of volunteer roles out there so we want to help make sure this is a good match for you. Here are some questions to help you think about whether this is the right fit:
- You can commit to volunteering for up to 3 hours per month from home.
- We’d ideally like you to be able to host at least one 75 minute long Welcome Webinar per month and, on top of this, you’ll need a bit of time to prepare for your webinar and to spend following up with new activists.
- You’re friendly, with a genuine interest in helping people take climate action, and you’re up for talking to groups of people.
- You’ll enjoy talking to people and be motivated by the idea of helping them take action! And, as you’ll be achieving this by talking to groups online, you’ll be happy talking to new people!
- You’re keen to learn how to use new digital tools to help build the community. Using digital tools is vital for this role as it will all be based online so, if you don’t already use them, you’ll need to be happy to learn to use a couple of different tools (including Zoom and Slack) to communicate with new activists *and us).
- You have a reliable internet connection! You'll need to be able to host an online webinar to perform this role so, crucially, you need to know that your connection isn’t likely to drop out part way through.
- You can make the 2 training dates for this role
For this intake to the Welcome team we’ll be running training on Tuesday 18 February from 19:30- 21:00 and on Tuesday 25 February from 19:30- 20:45. You’ll need to be available to attend both of these dates. What you’ll get:
As well as getting your teeth into a volunteer role with purpose, we’ll help you out by:
- Teaching you how to use online tools such as Zoom and Slack, giving you tips and encouragement on facilitation of group spaces.
- Connecting you to a network of similarly trained volunteers so you can share tips and expertise.
- Providing you with information about upcoming training and opportunities for you to refresh or build on your skills.
- On-going support from Fin, your team leader, via our Digital communications platform, Slack.
For this recruitment to the Welcome team we’ll be accepting applications until 6 February and getting back to applicants on 7 February. However, if you apply after this date – with your permission – we’ll keep your details so we can contact you when we are next training up new members of the team. If you think this role is right for you please submit an short application or, if not, have a look at our other volunteer roles.